TESTING FOR HEAVY METALS
Removal of heavy metals for optimum health and behavior is essential. Testing may be a personal choice only to fulfill the question of which heavy metals are in your child’s body and at what level. For various reasons I have stated below, no test is completely reliable when it comes to these metals.
For the sake of education I offer you information on the mainstream ways to test for heavy metals. However, not all of the results come up positive, even when there are metals present in the body, because the results depend on how much your body is excreting at that moment. If the body is exhausted and the liver and kidneys are overworked, they may not be able to do their job properly, and the metals will not pass through. The toxins get stuck in the body and are reabsorbed through tissue and blood only to re-circulate in the system. Mercury may react with the plastics in the container used to hold the urine sample, and it evaporates at room temperature, so some may be lost. Mercury is difficult to diagnose because it resides in various tissues and in different ionic forms. Furthermore, mercury gets stirred up in the body during testing challenges and concentrates in the brain and liver which can make health matters worse. I personally spent a lot of money on tests that I later learned were unreliable.
Pharmaceutical Heavy Metal Testing
Note that the most common form of pharmaceutical heavy metal testing is a product called DMSA. DMSA has two major health issues to be aware of:
- DMSA allows for re-absorption of heavy metal toxins during the excretion process. This can allow these toxins to get stirred up in the body all over again and they can end up in vital organs such as the brain.
- DMSA pulls out the necessary healthy minerals such as magnesium and calcium at the same time that it is pulling out the heavy metals which leaves an individual depleted of vital minerals.
Noted reliable testing doctors and their labs are:
- Mark Schauss, MBA, DB is an internationally acclaimed lecturer on the effects of environmental toxicity on human health and the use of laboratory testing. He can be contacted at www.labinterpretation.com, and the most reliable tests are available for doctors to purchase at an 80 percent discount. The results can be back in as little as 24 hours. Assistance will be given for interpretation of the tests which is the most important piece. Many doctors and data personnel are not properly educated in test interpretation.
- Deitricht Klinghardt’s website is very informative regarding heavy metal detoxification, www.klinghardtacademy.com.
Hair Analysis Testing
Hair analysis testing has been refined and has become more reliable, but only from a few known companies. Otherwise, it is still common to get false negatives. Some tests can be purchased online without an expensive doctor’s appointment. The ability of the practitioner to properly interpret the results is key. With the tests below there are practitioners available to go over the results with you when they come in. For more information on this read the book, Hair Test Interpretation; Finding Hidden Toxicities, by Dr. Andrew Cutler.
Notable companies (of top choice) who carry hair analysis tests are:
- arltma.com/HairAnalysis.htm (screens for the level of 20 minerals and toxic metals in one sample of hair) A very good company.
- annloise.com or www.unikeyhealth.com, 800-888-4353
The mother’s hair can be tested for levels of heavy metals before, during, or after pregnancy. A heavy metal test can be done on a child as young as a newborn through hair analysis.
Genova Labs Comprehensive Urine Analysis Profile assesses the urinary excretion of 15 nutrient elements and 20 toxic metals, and measures toxins from industrial, commercial and newer medical sciences such as those used in computer memory and compact discs. It finds the metabolites for multiple and various toxins.
My autism moms mentor program offers guidelines and support to ensure safety, and the proper timeline for heavy metal detoxification with the use of an all natural, safe, and scientifically studied resource. Learn more…